Works : Islamic Laws
651. In Islam, several Ghusls are Mustahab. Some of them are listed below:
- Ghusl-e-Jumuah: Its prescribed time is from Fajr to sunset, but it is better to perform it near Zuhr. If, however, a person does not perform it till noon, he can perform it till dusk without a Niyyat of either performing it on time or as Qadha. And if a person does not perform his Ghusl on Friday it is Mustahab that he should perform the Qadha of Ghusl on Saturday at any time between dawn and dusk. And if a person knows that it will not be possible for him to procure water for his Ghusl on Friday he can perform the Ghusl on Thursday with the Niyyat of Raja', that is, as a desirable act. And it is Mustahab to recite the following supplication while performing Friday Ghusl: 'Ash hadu an la ilaha il lal lahu wahdahu la sharika lah wa ash hadu anna Muhammadan 'abduhu wa Rasuluh. Alla humma salli 'ala Muhammadin wa Ali Muhammad waj'alni minat tawwabina waj'alni minal mutatahhirin. (I testify that there is none to be worshipped but Allah alone, Who has no associate and Muhammad is His servant and Messenger. O Allah! Bless Muhammad and his Progeny. And make me one of those who are repentant and pure).
- Taking baths on the 1st and 17th nights and in the earlier part of the 19th, 21st, 23rd nights and 24th night of the holy month of Ramadhan.
- Ghusl on Eidul Fitr day and Eidul Azha day. The time of this Ghusl is from Fajr up to sunset. It is, however, better to perform it before Eid prayers.
- Ghusl on the 8th and 9th of the month of Dhul-Hijj. As regards the bathing on the 9th of Dhul-Hijj it is better to perform it at noon-time.
- Ghusl by a person who has touched a dead body after it has been given Ghusl.
- Ghusl for Ihram (pilgrim's dress).
- Ghusl for entry into the haram of Makkah.
- Ghusl for entry into Makkah.
- Ghusl for visiting the holy Ka'bah.
- Ghusl for entry into the holy Ka'bah.
- Ghusl for slaughtering an animal and for shaving one's head (during pilgrimage).
- Ghusl for entry into Madinah, and its haram (sanctuary).
- Ghusl for entry into the Mosque of the holy Prophet.
- Ghusl at the time of bidding farewell to the sacred shrine of the holy Prophet.
- Ghusl for Mubahila (imprecation) with the enemy.
- Ghusl to a new-born child.
- Ghusl for Istakhara .
- Ghusl for offering Istisqa' - invocation for rains.
652. The Fuqaha have mentioned many more Mustahab Ghusls, some of which are as follows:
- Ghusl on all odd nights of the month of Ramadhan and on each of its last 10 nights and in the last part of its 23rd night.
- Ghusl on the 24th day of Dhul-Hijj.
- Ghusl on the day of Eid-i-Nawroz and 15th of Sha'ban and 9th and 17th of Rabi'ul Awwal and the 25th day of Dhul-Qa'dah.
- Ghusl by a woman who has perfumed herself for someone other than her husband.
- Ghusl by one who slept in a state of intoxication.
- Ghusl by a person who went to witness the hanging and saw the hanged person. However, if his eyes fell on him by chance or helplessly, or if he had gone for example, to give evidence, Ghusl will not be Mustahab for him.
- Ghusl for the Ziyarat of the Masoomen (A.S.) whether from near or far. However, as a precaution, these Ghusls should be done with the Niyyat of 'Raja', (i.e. with a hope that it might be a desirable act).
653. After having taken the Mustahab Ghusl listed in rule no. 651, one can perform acts (e.g. prayers) for which Wudhu is necessary. However, Ghusl performed with the Niyyat of 'Raja' do not not suffice for Wudhu (i.e. Wudhu has to be performed).
654. If a person wishes to perform a number of Mustahab Ghusls, one Ghusl with the Niyyat of performing all the Ghusls will be sufficient.